UN Should Investigate Fatal Attack on Camp Ashraf
(September 2, 2013) The United Nations should immediately investigate the recent attack on Camp Ashraf, resulting in the killing of dozens of residents, and take all necessary steps to protect residents of the camp against any further violence, the International Campaign for Human Rights in Iran said today.
On Sunday, September 1, Iraqi forces allegedly loyal to the Iranian regime attacked and killed dozens of Camp Ashraf residents. The Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps issued a statement shorty afterwards welcoming the attack, calling it “a historical revenge,” and praising its perpetrators.
The Campaign noted that the recent attack on Camp Ashraf is not an isolated incident and several other fatal attacks, both on Camp Ashraf and Camp Liberty in Iraq, have previously taken place.
“The residents of Camp Ashraf and Camp Liberty are in grave danger and the recent killings are another tragic crime that should have been prevented. As long as all parties involved fail to relocate these individuals to safety, all measures must be taken to protect their lives in Iraq,” said Hadi Ghaemi, the Campaign’s executive director.