Recommendations: Monitoring Iran
To the Human Rights Council and UN Member States:
- Support and renew the mandate of the Special Rapporteur for human rights in Iran.
- Urge Iran to cooperate with the Special Rapporteur and with human rights mechanisms.
- Call on Iran to submit a voluntary mid-term Universal Periodic Review.
To the government of Iran:
- Cooperate with the Special Rapporteur for human rights in Iran, including allowing him to visit the country.
- Cooperate with thematic mandates, including allowing country visits.
- Volunteer to submit a mid-term Universal Periodic Review.
- Impose an immediate moratorium on the death penalty.
- Launch independent investigations into grave violations of human rights, including alleged killings, tortures, and arbitrary detentions by security forces since the June 2009 election.